40 Squadron SAAF existed as a combat unit from early 1940 through to late 1945. It served in the East African Campaign, Western Desert, Tunisia, and Italy, reaching Austria by the end of World War II. The squadron's motto in those years was Amethlo e Impi - the eyes of the army.
40 Squadron was formed in May 1940 at Waterkloof Air Station, under the command of Major (later Major-General) Jimmy Durrant, as part of the South African Air Force's expansion early in World War II. It was an Army Co-Operation squadron equipped with Hartbees aircraft (a South African variant of the Hawker Hart).
// Дальше — en.wikipedia.org